Tooth Filling in Navi Mumbai
Damaged or broken teeth can make eating, talking and smiling challenging. Healthy teeth can restore your comfort and confidence. So, don’t be discouraged if you have a broken or cracked tooth when your dentist can best fix it with a tooth filling.
Tooth fillings are one of the most common dental procedures. They can restore the function and appearance of teeth damaged due to decay, trauma or wear and tear.
At Casa Dentique, one of the best dental clinic in Seawoods, Navi Mumbai, our expert dentist Dr Parth Shah with his skilled team, can help repair your damaged or broken teeth with the best dental filling. Dr Parth Shah strives to provide safe, high-quality tooth filling in Navi Mumbai.
In this article, we will discuss the importance of tooth fillings for dental health, their types, procedure, benefits and aftercare.
Overview of Tooth Fillings
A tooth filling is a dental treatment that includes filling a hole or cavity in a tooth with a material such as composite resin, amalgam, gold, or porcelain. Tooth fillings can help repair chipped or broken teeth and replace old, worn-out ones.
Why are Tooth Fillings Important for Dental Health?
Tooth fillings are essential for dental health for several reasons. First and foremost, they prevent the decay from spreading further into the tooth and causing more serious dental problems such as infections, abscesses, or tooth loss.
Fillings also help restore the tooth’s function, allowing you to chew and speak properly. In addition, they can improve the tooth’s appearance, boosting your confidence and self-esteem.
Types of Tooth Fillings
Several types of dental fillings are available, each with its own benefits and drawbacks.
The two main types of tooth fillings are:
1. Permanent fillings
A permanent tooth filling, or a dental restoration, is a filling material intended to last many years. Common materials used for permanent fillings include composite resin, dental amalgam, gold, and porcelain. These materials are durable and can withstand the forces of chewing and biting.
- Composite Resin Fillings: These are tooth-coloured fillings made from a mixture of plastic and glass. They are aesthetically pleasing and blend in with your natural teeth, making them a popular choice for front teeth.
- Amalgam Fillings: These are silver-coloured fillings made from a mixture of metals, including mercury, silver, tin, and copper. They are durable and long-lasting but less aesthetically pleasing than composite resin fillings.
- Gold Fillings: These are made from a mixture of gold, copper, and other metals. They are very durable and long-lasting but are the most expensive type of filling.
- Porcelain Fillings: These are made from a type of ceramic material that is fused to the tooth. They are durable, long-lasting, and aesthetically pleasing but are costly.
2. Temporary fillings
Temporary fillings are not designed to last longer and must be replaced with permanent filling as soon as possible. These are typically made of a soft material like zinc oxide or eugenol cement and are used as a temporary solution until a permanent filling can be placed. They can also relieve pain and sensitivity in teeth with large cavities or after a root canal procedure.
Tooth Filling Cost
The cost of tooth filling in Navi Mumbai can range from INR. 500 to INR. 5000 per tooth. However, the cavity filling cost can vary depending on several factors, such as the filling material used, the size and location of the cavity, the dentist’s experience and the clinic’s location.
Generally, composite resin fillings are more expensive than amalgam fillings, and gold and porcelain fillings are the costliest.
It is recommended to consult with a dentist to get an accurate estimate of teeth gap filling cost based on your specific needs and the filling material recommended.
“It is important to note that while tooth filling may seem expensive, it is a necessary investment in maintaining good dental health and preventing further damage to the tooth,” says Dr Parth Shah, a highly-skilled dentist in Seawoods, Navi Mumbai.
“Delaying treatment can lead to more severe and costly dental problems in the long run. Therefore, it is essential to prioritize dental care and seek treatment as soon as possible”, he advises.
Procedure of Tooth filling
The process of tooth or cavity filling involves several steps, which may vary slightly depending on the filling material used and the extent of the decay in the tooth.
Here is a general overview of the process:
Dr Parth Shah can administer a local anesthetic to numb the area around the affected tooth and prevent pain during the procedure.
2. Removing decay:
The dentist will use a dental drill or other instrument to remove the decayed part of the tooth and create a clean, smooth surface for the filling.
The dentist will clean the cavity thoroughly to remove any remaining debris or bacteria.
4. Filling placement:
Dr Parth Shah, a competent oral and maxillofacial surgeon in Seawoods, Navi Mumbai, will apply the chosen filling material to the cavity and shape it to match the natural contour of the tooth. Then, the dentist will harden the filling with a special light or chemical bonding agent.
The dentist will polish the dental filling to ensure a smooth, natural-looking finish and to prevent rough edges that could irritate the tongue or cheek.
The entire procedure usually takes about 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the size and location of the cavity.
Advantages of Tooth Fillings
Some benefits of tooth fillings include:
1. Prevent further decay and damage to the tooth.
2. Restore the function and appearance of the tooth.
3. Prevent tooth sensitivity.
4. Preserve the natural tooth structure.
5. More affordable compared to other restorative dental procedures.
6. Quick and simple procedure with minimal discomfort and downtime.
Here are some aftercare precautions to take after getting a tooth filling:
1. Avoid eating or drinking anything for a few hours after the procedure to allow the filling to set properly.
2. Avoid sticky, hard, or chewy foods for a few days.
3. Brush and floss your teeth regularly to maintain good oral hygiene and prevent further decay.
4. Avoid grinding or clenching your teeth, which can damage the filling.
5. Attend follow-up appointments with your dentist to monitor the condition of the filling and address any issues that may arise.
6. If you experience discomfort or sensitivity, consult your dentist immediately.
7. Consider using fluoride toothpaste or mouthwash to strengthen the tooth and prevent further decay.
Tooth fillings are a necessary dental procedure that can help to prevent further damage to your teeth and improve your overall dental health.
If you have a cavity or tooth decay, visit your dentist immediately to treat it with a tooth filling. Your dentist can recommend the best type of filling for your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
The procedure to place a tooth filling is usually not painful because the area around the tooth is numbed with a local anesthetic. However, some patients may experience mild discomfort or sensitivity after the procedure, which should subside within a few days.
It is normal to experience some sensitivity or discomfort after getting a tooth filling, but this should subside within a few days. If the pain persists or worsens, or you experience swelling, bleeding, or other symptoms, you should contact your dentist immediately.
It is recommended to avoid eating or drinking anything for a few hours after getting a tooth filling to allow the filling to set properly. After that, you can resume your normal eating habits, but avoiding sticky, hard, or chewy foods for a few days is best to prevent any damage to the filling.
Yes, you can brush your teeth after getting a tooth filling, but you should avoid brushing the filled tooth too vigorously for the first few days to prevent any damage to the filling.
Tooth fillings are not considered permanent but can last many years with proper care and maintenance. The lifespan of a filling depends on several factors, such as the filling material used, the location and size of the filling, and the patient’s oral hygiene habits. It is essential to attend regular dental check-ups to monitor the condition of the filling and address any issues that may arise.